IT MAY NOT BE THE FIRST FOOD AND WINE PAIRING THAT COMES TO YOUR MIND, BUT BUBBLES ARE PERFECT WITH FOOD!
Now that the temperature starts to increase, what’s better than a crystal, refreshing, sparkling wine? With crisp acidity, low alcohol and delightful bubbles, it can definitely replace beer or accompany summer evenings.
And because it is known that food and wine go together, I am here again to offer you sparkling wine and food pairing advice.
- Fatty and salty cheeses such as Parmesan, aged gouda or a 5-year-old Naxos Gruyere are terrific accompaniments to a Champagne Blanc de Noirs or a sparkling wine with similar philosophy like the Cuvee Speciale from Karanika Estate.
- Οf course oysters or otherwise clams, are a perfect match. Yes, it is a classic combo as the lemon that drips over calls for acidity. A great combination would be with a bubbly wine from Santorini’s Assyrtiko that has an intense mineral character or a Brut Champagne Blanc de Blancs.
- Eggs: in every possible way! This demanding indredient goes perfectly with bubbles that "freshen" the mouth in the moment. Because summer is coming I will propose the unexpected: eggs with tomato and a rosé sparkling wine from Xinomavro! It is really an unparalleled combination, especially if the wine has a bit of sweetness and the sauce has some cayenne pepper in it, if you know what I mean!
- Prosciutto, plain or with melon accompanies perfectly a fruity sparkling wine like prosecco or debina!
- Fruit salads with summer fruits pairs well with Moscato D 'Asti or some other off dry sparkling like Amalia Vintage that has an intense floral and fruity style but also a sweetness that will match with the ripe apricot.
These are the basics but I suggest experimenting, as with Champagne it's very difficult to make a mistake and, you never know when you’ll find another interesting combination!